AI4RAILS – Call for Papers
1st International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence for RAILwayS
co-located with the 16th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC2020)
September 7, 2020
AI4RAILS 2020 has moved to digital mode due to pandemic COVID-19.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Since the workshop will not be held in-site there
will be no registration fees!
The International Workshop on ?Artificial Intelligence for RAILwayS?
(AI4RAILS) is the first workshop specifically addressing topics
related to the adoption of Artificial Intelligence technologies in
railway applications. Supported by the Shift2Rail project RAILS,
AI4RAILS 2020 is the first of a series of workshops intended as a
reference forum for international researchers and industry
practitioners providing their novel ideas, results and experiences on
smart-railways in the general context of intelligent transportation
The aim of the 1st AI4RAILS workshop is to provide a forum for
researchers, practitioners and business leaders to discuss and share
new perspectives, ideas, technologies and solutions for effective and
dependable integration of AI techniques in rail-based transportation
More information, submission guidelines and contacts are available at
the workshop website.
AI4RAILS invites researchers, practitioners and business leaders to
present and discuss their latest research results on theory,
approaches and tools for design, development, operation and
maintenance of smart-railways by means of AI techniques.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
– AI for railway safety, availability, reliability and security
– Transferability to railways of AI approaches from other sectors
(e.g., avionics, automotive, etc.)
– Autonomous and cooperative train driving, including virtual coupling
– Automatic detection of railway signals and obstacles
– Railway predictive maintenance and defect detection
– AI for rail traffic planning and management
– Adversarial perturbations to AI with a focus on railway case-studies
– Resource allocation with a focus on railway case-studies
– Run-time model checking and AI with a focus on railway case-studies
– Explainable and trustworthy AI in railway applications
– Safe autonomy standards and railway certification of compliance
– Railway datasets and real-world case studies
***Submission and Publication***
AI4RAILS 2020 invites original paper not submitted elsewhere,
presenting original contribution. Papers must be in English, up to 12
pages in Springer format, including references and appendices. Paper
submission instructions and publication details are available on the
The AI4RAILS proceedings will be published to Springer Communications
in Computer and Information Science (CCIS).
Distinguished papers will be invited to submit an extended version in
a dedicated Special Issue on high ranked journals.
Regular paper submission: June 1, 2020
Authors notification: June 29, 2020
Camera-ready paper due: July 10, 2020
Valeria Vittorini, University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Francesco Flammini, Mälardalen University & Linnaeus University, Sweden
Roberto Nardone, University Mediterranea of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Stefano Marrone, University of Naples Federico II, Italy